    SubjectRe: Dynamic IP hack (PR#294)
    In message <tciuhhodnh.fsf@CR1004479-A.crdva1.bc.wave.home.com>, Eric Schenk
    wr
    ites:
    +-----
    | (after think about it on and off for close to 4 years). Frankly the
    | real problem is that the internet was never designed to allow for
    | dynamic IP addresses, and anything we do to hack them in results in
    +--->8

    Nevertheless, they exist and they aren't going away until IPv6 becomes *the*
    standard (if then). Some way to support them is needed, as anyone can tell
    you who has tried to telnet out on a diald-enabled system only to have diald
    drop the line before the telnet times out :-( (Bumping the diald default up
    time isn't always a sane option, either.)

    --
    brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh] allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
    system administrator [WAY too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.019 / U:31.636 seconds]