SubjectRe: SMP Setup

smithg@calguard.ca.gov said:
> I have a dual Pentium 166 Tyan board with processors. My question is
> simple. Do I have to install special software for it to start using
> both processors or will it automatically detect the second processor
> and start using it at boot time?

You need to recompile your kernel with SMP enabled.

In the top-level Makefile ("/usr/src/linux/Makefile"), you'll find a line near
the top which reads:
#SMP = 1

Remove the '#' from the beginning of that line to uncomment it, then follow
all the rest of the instructions for compiling and installing the kernel.

If you use a 2.1 series kernel (the development tree), then you'll find that
SMP is the default anyway, so it should just work.

A long time ago someone made it possible to configure this just as easily as
all the other options in the kernel, but for some reason it was decided to
keep it hidden.

In 2.0, I believe that was because SMP was still experimental, but now SMP is
extremely widely used and reliable, I don't know the reason for keeping it
hidden.

David Woodhouse David.Woodhouse@mvhi.com Office: (+44) 1223 810302
Project Leader, Process Information Systems Mobile: (+44) 976 658355
Axiom (Cambridge) Ltd., Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridge, CB5 0NA, UK.
finger dwmw2@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk for PGP key.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.036 / U:0.300 seconds]