Subjectide-tape saga (renamed)
On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, Matthew Hunter wrote:

> It's a SMP problem. I just ran a full successful backup with the same
> system booted into the same kernel compiled for UP operation. No
> problem, it all works.

My problem was somewhat skewed by the fact I was using a bad tape! I
really need to get a new tape and test again under DOS before doing
anything else, that way I can confirm that the tape isn't the problem, and
then attempt to reproduce the problems under both UP & SMP operations.

I've posted an report to the l-k mailing list about some IDE timeout
problems with my older tape (stills reads/verifies ok, but I'm relucant to
overwrite it). Towards the end of the verification process on the 1.4GB
archive it progressively got slower and slower.. and there was quite a
bunch of ide-tape errors being logged (DSC timeouts etc), in the end I
gave up and halted it - but it did report that there was ZERO read errors
so I assume the tape drive and the old tape I was using is still good.

You might be right that this could be a SMP problem though, but I need to
confirm that in fact that this is the same problem we're both seeing wrt.
ide-tape.

PS: I'm now convinced that the IDE cabling and IDE tape drive are all in
100% working order though, so that's narrowed it down some.

Cheers,
Alex.

---
/\_/\ Legalise cannabis now!
( o.o ) Grow some cannabis today!
> ^ < Peace, Love, Unity and Respect to all.

Check out http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk
Linux lo-pc3035a 2.1.125 #6 Fri Oct 9 13:53:00 EDT 1998
One Intel Pentium 75+ processor, 66.36 total bogomips, 16M RAM
libc 5.4.44

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.046 / U:1.124 seconds]