Subjectrestricting patch for webservers
i have written a kernel patch for (more or less) public access machines
(in my case : web servers, some with telnet access).
the problems i have are :
- people can run any number of processes, and this way make everything
slow.
- if a few programms are doing heavy i/o traffic, all other programs
suffer.

not all problems are solved now, but i can do at least a bit:
for example, i can give some amount of time to a user -
if he has several processes, each process less time, so they get all
together the same time a normal process would get.

i don't understand the whole memory management in linux now, so that
part will change (my current changes will not hurt you, but they are not
as effective as i hoped).

the patch is 25k, so i don't want to post it here.
it's available at ftp.inka.de/sites/dungeon/kernel

i would realy like to get some opinions. i know that some parts are
dirty hacks, so if you have an idea how to write this in a clean way ...

thanks.

andreas

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.024 / U:0.888 seconds]