SubjectRe: more aggressive checkconfig patch available for 2.1.84
Hello Eyal,

> I would like to build a kernel with selected static modules, but
> I still want everything as a module. This allows me to build all
> the modules once, then build customised kernels as necessary.

This is harder than it seems, even if you have the necessary
Makefile support. For instance, there are places in the resident
kernel that care about whether something is a module or not defined
at all.

> And the build process will have to be adjusted to not confuse the
> compilation, probably build into a private directory rather than with
> the sources.

I would like to have separate source and target trees, with
the source directory read-only. Then you could do this:

make target-1 with minimal resident and full modules
copy target-1 to target-2
reconfigure target-2
make in target-2

For more info, read the documentation in:

<ftp://ftp.shout.net/pub/users/mec/experimental/dancing-makefiles.2177>

Regards,

Michael Chastain
<mailto:mec@shout.net>
"love without fear"

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.034 / U:0.560 seconds]