    SubjectRe: 3.0 wishlist Was: Overview of 2.2.x goals?
    On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, Dan Hollis wrote:

    > On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, Richard Guy Briggs wrote:
    > > > Thats all I can think of right now.. I'm sure there are many more things
    > > > that I would feel nessassary in a 3.0 release.. I'm sure others can add..
    > > How about a kernel panic core memory dump to disk for forensic research?
    >
    > The current logic behind not doing this in linux is that since its
    > impossible to do it perfectly (e.g. 100% foolproof under all situations),
    > it shouldnt be done at all. (Still, BSD manages to do it).

    A couple weeks ago, Linus stated quite clearly that he disliked crash
    dumps because they led to a style of fault repair which often fixed the
    symptom instead of fixing the problem. By giving less information, a
    programmer was forced to understand the problem, instead of patching it
    away.

    I understand that viewpoint. I have seen my sahre of lousey fixes.

    On the other side, a crash dump can be extremely useful in tracking down
    ill-system situations. The system is running slower and slower... or
    everything is stopped but the mouse... or a storage creep has eaten up
    half the storage in a week. A crash dump, with suitable diagnostics, can
    reveal problem situations which do not result in immediate faults.

    I think a crash dump facility would help accelerate progress in solving
    the more mature problems which are showing up recently.

    john alvord

    p.s. I spent years on a dump analysis tool in a former life.

    ©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans