SubjectRe: 3.0 wishlist Was: Overview of 2.2.x goals?
On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, Marc Lewis wrote:
> > > How about a kernel panic core memory dump to disk for forensic research?
> > The current logic behind not doing this in linux is that since its
> > impossible to do it perfectly (e.g. 100% foolproof under all situations),
> > it shouldnt be done at all. (Still, BSD manages to do it).
> AIX also does this (the last time I played with AIX - x86 version,
> anyway - about 5 years ago). If the kernel were to panic, it would
> prompt you to either reboot, or insert blank disks in the floppy to save
> the dump to.

Yup. FreeBSD and Solaris dump to a predetermined partition, HP dumps to
tape.

HP has always been *excellent* in analyzing crashdumps, they always know
from the dump exactly what happened as they are able to browse kernel
tables and see what was corrupted in memory. With this information
they are able to produce patches in relatively short order.

-Dan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.328 / U:0.264 seconds]