Subjectdevfs patch v5
  Hi, all. I've made v5 of my devfs patch available. You can pick it
up at: http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~rgooch/kernel-patches.html
I'm not posting it to the list because some people are worried about
the size of their mailboxes :-)

This patch adds support for mounting directly from entries in the
devfs (it doesn't need to be mounted to do this), including the root
filesystem. Mounting of swap partitions also works. Hence, now if you
set CONFIG_DEVFS_ONLY to 'Y' then you won't be able to access your
discs via ordinary device nodes. Naturally, the default is 'N' so that
you can still use your old device nodes.
If you want to mount from devfs entries, make sure you use:
append = "root=/dev/sd_..."

in your lilo.conf. It seems LILO looks for the device number
(major&minor) and writes that into the kernel image :-(

Thanks to C. Scott Ananian <cananian@lcs.mit.edu> for adding support
for character memory devices (/dev/null, /dev/zero, /dev/full and so
on).

No SCSI disc renaming or subdirectory support has been done yet. I'm
still letting the dust settle.

Regards,

Richard....

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.031 / U:0.712 seconds]