SubjectRe: OSS 3.8a: SB32 not detected by lowlevel driver
On Wed, 20 Aug 1997, Andrew E. Mileski wrote:

> > The synth device has some requirements about reletive offsets of the I/O
> > ports that can't be expressed using PnP resource (EEPROM) information. For
> > this reason the card lists only the first EMU8000 I/O port in it's
> > resource data. The other two register blocks are hidden and only an
> > initialization routine specially written for AWE32 can handle them.
>
> Ummm...then this is a driver problem right? This has nothing to do
> with PnP as far as I can see - the old non-PnP cards would have the
> same problem right?
Non-PnP SB32s don't have this problem. You are right in that a driver is
required to initialize AWE32 properly. There is currently just a non-PnP
AWE32 driver in the kernel and it can't do that.

> > Of
> > cause it's possible to implement the BIOS so that it recognizes AWE32 and
> > can initialize it but...
>
> If the EMU is not PnP compatible, it is not the fault of the PnP specs.
Partly yes and partly no. Many ISA hardware vendors didn't completely
redesign their cards when Win95 was released. Instead they wrapped their
existing designs behind a PnP kludge. In this way they were able to retain
compatibility with older software. Unfortunately the ISA PnP spec is so
limited that it was not possible to express all requirements of the
hardware using it.

Best regards,

Hannu
-----
Hannu Savolainen (hannu@4front-tech.com)
http://www.4Front-Tech.com/oss.html (Open Sound System (OSS))
http://personal.eunet.fi/pp/voxware (OSS Free/TASD/VoxWare)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.098 / U:0.416 seconds]