SubjectLinux Networking Status/Plans as of 2.1.28
Protocols:

Appletalk:
This seems to be basically happy now. There are some bits of localtalk
and hopefully some new localtalk drivers to go in over time. Appletalk over PPP
I've got no idea about as it needs someone to hack up the PPPD code and also the
innards of netatalks user space.

AX.25:
Still a lot of work in progress. Most of this is cleaning up things
and improving on facilities. DAMA will I hope be back in shortly

Bridge:
Doesn't work. Don't intend to fix it in the near future. The right
way to do this is to create a virtual bridge device that has a group of actual
network devices under it, NOT the way it is done now. There are a big collection
of changes and bug fixes to make it 802.1d compliant rather than Digital
Lanbridge (bluebook equivalent). Nobody is working on this at the moment.

Decnet:
May or may not occur: Remains to be seen

Ethernet:
The support code should be pretty much constant now, at least its
interfaces.

IPv4:
Bugs in ip_fragmentation, some races it would appear from dumps. TCP
needs some work doing on it. Routing has some clean ups pending. Alexey is
promising serious magic with his next patches so as soon as I get them we find
out. There may be some interface breakage to come. Other folk are working
on syn-protection/syn-cookies. Nobody is currently working on the TCP problems,
but we may well get some of that from the 2.0.29ISS work.

SMBfs over IPv4 apparently doesn't work. I don't think anyone is working
on this issue.

IPv6:
Probably needs a new maintainer now. No work in progress.

IPX:
Seems to have some small bugs. Not having an IPX network I can't tell.
The changes affecting IPX are fairly small so it shouldn't take much to fix
any problems that may be left. No maintainer, no work in progress. No interface
changes anticipated. NCPfs seems to need fixing too.

LAPB:
Work in progress but seems to be working nicely.

NETBEUI: