    SubjectRe: Unable to handle kernel paging request
    On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, Jon Lewis wrote:

    > On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, Bernd Schmidt wrote:
    >
    > > I'd like to agree, but I've seen another bug report like this, and I noticed
    > > that in both cases, the function elf_core_dump appeared in the stack trace.
    > > I even still have the original mail. The author (Johnny Stenback) claims the
    > > problem is reproducible with the following test program:
    >
    > I've run Bernd's program several times now and am fairly convinced this is
    > a kernel problem...not bad RAM. I got almost identical ksymoops data from
    > both the user's mud and Bernd's program. I've upgraded to 2.0.29, and
    > still get very similar results from Bernd's program. First run segfaults,
    > additional runs go to state D and none can be killed...so I had to reboot
    > again.

    Very weird.. I ran it, too, and it simply segfaults, no oops, no state D,
    no problem whatsoever.

    There are two possibilities here:
    1. file "test" doesn't exist, so mmap returns -1 (??? it should return
    NULL), the first attempt to dereference the pointer segfaults, end of
    story.
    2. file "test" does exist, mmap returns a valid pointer, the first attempt
    to read from that memory region segfaults because of PROT_WRITE protection
    (no reading allowed). End of story.

    Kernel 2.0.29 with minimal modifications, libc 5.4.23.

    Any other takers?

    Ionut

    --
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
    than to open it and remove all doubt.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.017 / U:0.360 seconds]