    Subjectdcache questions
    I'm having some significant problems trying to get the vfat filesystem
    to work properly with the dcache. Basically, the problem is caused by
    the vfat filename handling. For each long filename, there is an alias
    that refers to the same file or directory. For example, for the filename
    LongFileName, there is an alias called longfi~1.

    For a directory tree, I could have something like:
    Long: Program Files/GNU Emacs/LongFileName.exe
    Alias: progra~1/gnuema~1/longfi~1.exe

    One can also refer to LongFileName.exe via one of any combination of
    aliased directory names:
    progra~1/GNU Emacs/LongFileName.exe
    Program Files/gnuema~1/longfi~1.exe

    This really starts messing with the dcache since there is not a unique
    dentry for any filename or directory.

    I decided I would try to handle the problem with aliases by not putting
    any dentries in the dcache for filenames that are aliases or for filenames
    that haven't been found. This way, there would only be one dentry per
    directory and file.

    I can't even get the simplest case to work. I tried changing vfat_lookup()
    to not call d_add(dentry, NULL) when a filename is not found, but this
    causes the dcache to think there is a permanent error with this filename.

    Is there some way I can either get the dcache to not cache errors?

    Does someone have a suggestion of another way to handle these aliases?

    - Gordon

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.042 / U:63.580 seconds]