    SubjectRe: NCPfs still buggy (and crashes netware server)
    Tore Olsen wrote:
    > I upgraded our webserver to 2.0.31 yesterday, in the hope that the
    > bugs in ncpfs we were experiencing would go away, but that didn't
    > happen. (We're running the web-pages from a netware server, don't ask
    > why.)
    >
    > I get lots of messages like these:
    > ncp_put_inode: inode in use device 00:0a, inode 34215841, count=2
    > ncp_put_inode: inode in use device 00:0a, inode 609381, count=2
    >
    > The inodes usually belong to .htaccess files, whatever that means.
    >
    > I wrote a small program that would fork(), and repeatedly open() and
    > close() the same file, and that seems to trigger the bug.
    >
    > Another thing is that after a few days with this behaviour, unmounting
    > the ncp filesystem actually crashes the Netware server. So there must
    > be a bug in Novell's software too. :-)

    Hi Tore,

    The "inode in use" message isn't a bug -- it shows that the software has
    detected what was formerly a bug, and is now handling the case
    correctly. I made these changes back in June, working with Troels
    Arvin. At that time he too had a problem with the Novell server
    crashing, which I think went away with a server upgrade. You can
    comment out the message if you like.

    > Seeing Linus' note about preparing for 2.2, and ncpfs not being ready
    > for that, I really hope that Someone (tm) will understand what's
    > wrong, and fix it for 2.0.32 as well.

    The ncpfs for 2.1.xx is an entirely different matter; it needs some work
    to adapt to the many 2.1.xx-specific changes. But if you find specific
    bugs in 2.0.xx ncpfs, please report them so we can look into it.

    Regards,
    Bill

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.020 / U:31.924 seconds]