SubjectRe: ext2 and unlink(2)
On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> Several times on this system I've had major corruption as bad as an entire
> home directory being scrambled with another user's netscape cache. Files
> in user tape's directory (backup scripts and logs) suddenly became gifs or
> just garbage (after e2fsck was done "repairing") pulled from user fubar's
> netscape cache....not fun to recover from.
>
> This sounds suspiciously like the blocks from the inode table getting
> written to the wrong place.
>
> Can you describe what happened in a little bit more detail? Was it the
> case that filenames that once pointed to a backup script would get
> repointed to a gif, or something like that? Or were the names in the
> directory also scrambled?

System runs 24/7. I come in in the morning and find ext2 errors on the
console...so I log in as root, and do a shutdown -r now...hoping the fsck
on reboot will fix things. When it finishes, files in /home/tape that
were scripts and logs still have their names intact, but the data in them
has been replaced with individual gif and jpeg files. I noticed it at
first because file sizes seemed unreasonable and then did a file * in
/home/tape and was alarmed that all my custom backup scripts were images.

This system used to seem to scribble on the disks frequently (maybe
weekly) but hasn't done it now for about 1.5 months. I have a bunch of
similarly equipped (same NCR 810 and IBM disks) systems that never did
this. Most have better motherboards, but not all.

Jon Lewis <jlewis@fdt.net> | Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
Network Administrator | be proof-read for $199/message.
Florida Digital Turnpike |

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.041 / U:0.060 seconds]