SubjectRe: Upgrading

On Wed, 15 Oct 1997, Michael P. Blinn wrote:

> I'm sure this has come up before, but it hasn't come up within the time
> I've been following the list.. Pre-apologies for repetition.
>
> I've got an old version of Slackware (1.2.13), and in striving for network
> aliasing and other utilities, I needed to upgrade the kernel. Currently
> I'm running 2.0.30, 1.2.13, and 2.1.43. Apparently due to the file locking
> differences between glibc1 and glibc2, I need to recompile all of my
> fcntl-using binaries with glib, however this only becomes apparent when
> running 2.1.43, not 2.0.30 (??) (2.1.43 needed for parport support).
>
> I'm kind of at a loss. I need to upgrade my kernel to use parport, but if
> I do, pop3, etc doesn't work until I recompile it and the other fcntl-
> using binaries (At least, I think this is what it is.. Much digging and
> the only clues I've come up with point there.. I'm also having a whale of
> a time trying to recompile pine for my users.. :(

> It has stroked my curiosity though, and I'm wondering the exact nature
> behind the beast.. (And if there is a way around it! I'm stuck now,
> because I cannot upgrade to the newer kernels until I can get pine to
> recompile.. otherwise it ALWAYS opens the mailboxes as readonly).
>
> Anyone have a light to shed on this?
>
> Many many MANY thanks,
> Michael Blinn

I recently upgraded from 2.0.30 to 2.1.42, and I found that between the
2.0 series of kernels and the 2.1 series there was a big change in methods
for connecting various parts of the system software. The effects of this
change are numerous, subtle, and deep. You will need to untar the new
kernel source tree, modify Rules.make (delete the "-k" in line 166 from
"$(GENKSYMS) -k"), and then build the kernel. Then you can install the new
gcc, the new libc5, new binutils, etc.... When you get all the support
software in, you can build and install the new modutils package. Then,
finally, you can restore the original Rules.make and build the kernel once
more. (Modutils must be built with a 2.1.xx kernel to get a genksyms
which can run under the 2.1.xx kernel, but the 2.1.xx kernel wants the new
genksyms to build the kernel.)

You could, perhaps, wait for someone to release a new distribution based
on the 2.1 series kernels, but that would probably mean waiting until the
2.2 (stable) series of kernels comes out. If you want to use the 2.1
(development) series of kernels in production there is a bit of work to do
first with installing all the needed updates.

As far as your troubles with Pine go, I can't help you much there. I
deleted all my mail and removed the mailboxes first, and then invoked pine
again under the new kernel/support system to rebuild the mailboxes. I had
no problems with that on my system.

See http://www.cviog.uga.edu/Misc/info/ChangesDevelopment.html for details.

Good luck!
Rich Bowser

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.156 / U:0.092 seconds]