    SubjectRe: Ftape w/ new TR-3EX tapes
    On Thu, 30 Jan 1997, Claus-Justus Heine wrote:

    > Mike Wangsmo <> writes:
    > > Is anybody working on modifying the Ftape driver for the tavern tape
    > > drives to recognize the new TR-3EX tapes? They are _supposedly_
    > > compatable with the regular TR-3 tapes, but ftape doesn't like them.
    > >
    > > They are a 2.2/4.4G tape that works with the standard T3000 type floppy
    > > tape drives.
    > Hi!
    > There were some notes about these TR-3EX tapes on the linx-tape
    > mailing list recently. Could you please specify the problems a bit
    > more precise? What I need to know about is
    > 1) The version of ftape you were trying to use

    I am using ftape-2.08 from the kernel source tree.

    > 2) The messages the ftape driver writes to the kernel
    > log. Specifically if it complains about an unknown header segment
    > format or something like this.

    Jan 30 12:53:05 bridger kernel: [248] ftape-ctl.c (ftape_calc_timeouts)
    - Unknown tape length, using worst case timing values!.
    Jan 30 12:53:07 bridger kernel: [249] ftape-read.c (read_header_segment)
    - unknown tape format, please report !.

    > Also, if you were trying to use ftape-3.02 with the zftape frontend
    > then you were out of luck because there are some problems with signed
    > 32bit integers. I'm fixing it but it will take some more days until
    > the next version of ftape is ready

    Should I be using a newer ftape than that of the one included with the
    kernel? I just got the tape drive last week, so I am kind of unfamiliar
    with everything related to the tape stuff. I also see that using mt, I
    can't position a tape in the Colorado T3000 tape drives. ANys suggestions

    Mike Wangsmo, Graduate Student
    Montana State University
    602 Peter Koch (406) 586-0690
    Bozeman, MT 59715

    "May the Force be with you, always"

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.020 / U:3.600 seconds]