    SubjectRe: Async IO
    On Sun, 26 Jan 1997, Greg Alexander wrote:

    > You only need to use one signal, then the signal handler will look at some
    > shared memory to see what the signal was for. And there's no really good
    > reason that i know of to not use SIGHUP, SIGCHLD, SIGIO, SIGPWR, etc.

    Using shared memory from signal handlers isn't easy. The pthreads
    synchronization routines can't be called from signal handlers, because
    they rely on signals to wake up a task that's blocked on a mutex or
    condition.

    Async I/O can be done on linux, but it can't be done portably until Linux
    gets better signal support.

    | Nathan Bryant | Unsolicited commercial e-mail WILL be |
    | nathan@burgessinc.com | charged an $80/hr proofreading fee. |

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:6.520 / U:0.072 seconds]