    SubjectRe: Jive -> Kernel (International Linux)
    On Sat, 18 Jan 1997, William Sowerbutts wrote:
    > At 23:16 17/01/97 +0000, Philip Blundell wrote:
    > >You could do this with modules. Create a global variable
    >
    > defaults for others. How could we implement this on a per-user basis?
    > Wouldn't that mean passing the kernel messages through a process attached
    > to the relevant tty, in order to distinguish which user we wanted to
    > translate for?

    I really don't see a need to switch languages for KERNEL messages on a per
    user basis. Application messages are a different thing, and I'm not saying
    that translating the kernel messages would be a silly thing either.

    However, if the kernel messages are to be offered in different languages,
    then (IMHO) the strings should be sustituted at compile time. These
    messages that are logged on the console or the system logs, and are
    typically seen only by the administrator.

    I think a runtime system would only add unneeded complexity and waste
    machine resources.

    Johan Myreen
    jem@iki.fi

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.019 / U:1.144 seconds]