SubjectRe: Plea: re-indent the kernel source

On Sun, 29 Sep 1996, Lauri Tischler wrote:

> Having indentation of 8 spaces is plain waste of screen area.
> Indentation of 2 or 4 is more appropiate.
> Also having indentation of 8 _and_ trying to keep linelenghts < 80 is
> impossible.

8 space indentations (or rather, hard-tab indentations) is really
non-negotiable. Read the "Documentation/CodingStyle" file on details, but
essentially if you have problems with keeping your lines short enough with
8-characters indents, you should probably start looking for another career
than programming. Essentially, I think that people that can't keep their
indentation levels down to a maximum of three are simply not good
programmers.

> Printing the Source with current excessive indentation is quite
> hopeless.
> Apparently the Great White Leader uses _only_ X with _wide_ window
> and has access to fine wide lineprinters.

The Great White Leader (but call me "bwana" for short), feels that 80x25
characters is entirely possible. He doesn't want to use such devices himself,
but hey, even back when he _did_ use those kinds of resolutions he used
8-character indents.

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.052 / U:0.044 seconds]