On Thu, 26 Sep 1996, Scott T. Miller wrote:
> Are Red Hat and SlackWare and their kind the only ones making a profit
> off of Linux sales? If so, Linus is really being too humble. I have 3
> consulting clients which use Linux in 24/7 production environments. All
> of these companies are making money hand-over-fist. Two of these
> companies have over 1000 employees. I am sure that there are many,
> larger companies using Linux without having to pay a single, measley
> dime, or franc, or whatever.

Look, I think we all understand the desire to do something like this
for Linus.

Redhat and Slackware are making money on the distributions. However,
they add a lot back to teh community. Slackware was how I and many got
into Linux. Red hat has developed RPM and released under the GPL.
Caldera
contributed their Novell code back to Linux as a whole. Linux-FT
contributed their changes to the kernel in order to get POSIX certified
back to Linus.

I think, if you want to send money somewhere, send it to Linux
International. Spreading Linux is, I think, what Linus wants most
(although I can't claim to speak for the man. I'm only guessing).

I'll tell you what YOU personally can do though. Wright an article for
the Linux Journal's "Linux Mean Business" colounm describing how this
company is using Linux for its 1000 employees. I think the best thing
you could do for Linux and Linus is promote it as a viable alternative to
expensive, closed, commercial OSs. I think that's what Linus wants.

<WAX PHILOSOPHICLY>
I think the idea behind Linux is to show the world that a free and freely
developed operating system is BETTER alternative to expensive, closed and
propriatary efforst. To show people that a group of people, getting
together from all over the world, can work together to build something
better than any one company.
</WAX PHILOSOPHICLY>

Oh well. Peace.

Mark E. Levitt
Department of Speech Communication, Syracuse University
E-mail: melevitt@syr.edu
Home Page: http://web.syr.edu/~melevitt

PGP fingerprint = B8 A3 AA A6 0F 83 9A BE F2 7A 19 F9 15 79 FE A4
Public key available from http://web.syr.edu/~melevitt/pgpkey.html

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.337 / U:0.112 seconds]