SubjectRe: General protection fault in kswapd in 2.0.18

On Sat, 14 Sep 1996, Graham Mitchell wrote:

> Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 04:23:44 +0100
> From: Graham Mitchell <gmitch@woodlea.co.uk>
> To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> Subject: Re: General protection fault in kswapd in 2.0.18
>
> On 13 Sep 96 at 14:12, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
> > Does anybody on the kernel list know of a good test program that is generally
> > available that can be left running over-night or similar? (Actually, if you
> >

> Yes.....
>
> cd /usr/src/linux
> make config
> make dep
>
> then loops this as often as you want
> make clean
> make zImage
> make modules
>
> Shows up memory problems quite well.....:)) Another good test is to
> make gcc

Two problems... that says either your memory is bad, or that it passes
the GCC compile test. However, solaris disliked memory on one system that
passed both those tests.

The other problem is that it dosn't tell you WHAT memory is bad.
Obviously it can't tell you what simm is bad (the tester dosn't know your
memory configuration) but it SHOULD tell you the address that had an
error.

So, a dog-based memory tester is the proper way to do it (don't flame
me... dog is good if you want to take over the entire system. Sometimes
multitasking is a drawback)

Oh yea, and anyone have a program that seriously stresses your cache
memory? I think I may have a flakey chip in one of my boards that I want
to put through some testing.

Again, dos based is preferable.

--Dan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:1.260 / U:0.012 seconds]