SubjectRe: New CDU31A/CDU33A maintainer needed
Date
Corey Minyard (minyard@metronet.com) wrote:

: I am about to get rid of my CDU31A drive (I blew the soundcard it sits
: on) and replace it with an ATAPI drive. So, I am looking for someone
: to take over maintenance of the driver.

Oh, please, no, Corey.
The early days, at the beginning of 1993, when we just had yours
and Martin Harriss' driver for the "proprietary" CDROM drives, I
often had to read your code. Martin's example was good for it's
"simplicity"; mcd.c was good to see the basic structure. But cdu31a.c
always again was brilliant to read in a special way; about like an
example for the best way to express complex relations, just giving
the feeling that the C programming language is a perfect medium for
transporting thoughts. ;-)

: Really, not too much goes on with the driver now. I have a few
: patches that people have sent me that I have not applied and tested,
: and I get questions and problems occasionally, maybe once a month.

Well, Corey, please reflect that your driver would not need much time
to keep it maintained by yourself.

As long as some people have usable drives of your cdu31a/cdu33a
family, there should be a way to care that one of those is located
at your machine.
And it even would be easier to find one of those "multi CD" soundcards
(they didn't have "full duplex" features, there was no wave table plug-on
facility, ...). If we do not find some "sponsors" with old 34-pin
connector sound cards for you, I would dig through my "Rumpelkammer" -
I'm 100% sure that I gathered one or two of those WHD (no-sound) cards
with Sony/Mitsumi/Panasonic connectors some early days, and I'm sure
it still didn't make it to the trash. ;-)
You just would need one free ISA slot (even 8-bit would be sufficient),
and there is no need to reserve an IRQ line.

: I have lost my drive programmer's manual :-(, but it is not really
: necessary any more. And I would still be available to answer
: questions.

: If no one steps up, I can keep maintaining it, but I can't test it any
: more.

Please, tell us that you will keep maintaining that brilliant-written
piece of code. BTW: I am still missing your entry in linux/MAINTAINERS. ;-)

: Any takers?

No, let's look for hardware givers. From linux/CREDITS:
N: Corey Minyard
E: minyard@wf-rch.cirr.com
D: Sony CDU31A CDROM Driver
S: 1805 Marquette
S: Richardson, Texas 75081
S: USA

Cheers -e
--
Eberhard Moenkeberg GGG W W DDDD GGG
G W W D D G

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.189 / U:0.060 seconds]