SubjectAlternate solutions (Was: Re: NFS still has caching problem)
torvalds@cs.helsinki.fi (Linus Torvalds)  wrote on 11.07.96 in <Pine.LNX.3.91.960711074756.13624B-100000@linux.cs.Helsinki.FI>:

> This is NOT a bug - it's a feature. The problem is that NFS simply cannot
> guarantee cache coherency, so either you have to disable caching
> altogether, or you accept the fact that NFS has these surprising features.

I'll take this opportunity to ask if there is another network file system
available for Linux that is more compatible with POSIX.

(And with "available" I mean with source and without silly export
restrictions. Something that could go into the main kernel.)

I recall that some candidates were mentioned some while ago. Anybody
working on this? Any progress?

If not, maybe it's time to see if we can't come up with something ...

MfG Kai

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.324 / U:0.900 seconds]