    SubjectRe: Class B, Name lookups? BUG
    > The problem does not seem to relate to routing.  Routing works.
    > I can reach anything on the internet by IP address.

    > My DNS servers work fine. Via nslookup they lookup names.
    > Using a client program (ftp, telnet, traceroute, ping, ssh...)
    > that needs to lookup a name, they fail. Nothing can lookup
    > names. At the risk of repeating myself, If I simply plug in
    > may Net Configuration:
    > IPADDR=
    > NETMASK=
    > NETWORK=
    > GATEWAY=
    > This works on every system I tried except for Linux.
    > I couldn't get this to work on an out-of-the-box RedHat
    > or Slackware install, nor on other production boxes,
    > including virgin 1.2.13 boxes and 2.0.0 machines that
    > have had "everything" upgraded.
    > I hope that I have made some simple error and somebody can
    > point it out. I would not mind feeling stupid %-)
    > I do feel that I have configured everything completely
    > and checked everything twice, and I believe this should work.
    > If you have time to look at this typescript, I've attempted
    > to prove my dilemma by showing what I've done, and that I've
    > checked it thoroughly:
    > Script started on Mon Jun 24 11:59:46 1996
    > eth0 Link encap:10Mbps Ethernet HWaddr 00:A0:24:56:CC:5C
    > inet addr: Bcast: Mask:

    OK. Thats your private network.

    > [root@junk /root]# netstat -rn
    > Kernel routing table
    > Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
    > U 0 0 4 eth0
    > U 0 0 14 lo
    > UG 0 0 46 eth0

    Ok this is right, and is reachable in theory.

    Are you running NIS/YP ?

    > ftp Host name lookup failure.

    How long does it take to fail. If it takes a minute or two then its failing
    to talk. If its instantaneous then something system side didnt like it.

    BTW: A config matching your network and RedHat 3.0.3 with the addresses
    quoted works on my home test net. That of course doesnt help you.

    Do both the listed name servers work ? [eg dig @secondserver]

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.019 / U:63.156 seconds]