SubjectRe: SPARC Linux
: It works better than SunOS 4.1.3... =)

So you are saying that it can have uptimes of 100ish days, handle the
news, mail, web load of an entire domain and have enough left over to
do the odd compile now and again? If not, then it isn't working
better than SunOS. We have an Solbourne OS/MP 4.1C machine here in
the village that has these characteristics, although lately it has
developed a hardware bug which hits once a month. Given the state of
the network code in recent kernels, I seriously doubt that it is
better than SunOS. OS/MP 4.1C is based on SunOS 4.1.3 and was
produced by Solbourne for the MP and non MP machines. It will likely
be a while before Linux reaches the OS/MP level of SMP robustness
(typical test: on a 3 cpu machine, run 4 3-way makes of 200k lines of
C++ at the same time. It may be slow, but it doesn't crash).

Oh, and if it is better than SunOS, then it is, by definition, better
than Solaris :-).

That said, do keep up the good work!

Warner

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.355 / U:0.048 seconds]