SubjectFILE: KernelDB ... now a script!
Folks -

Alright! Due to popular demand, I have converted my "mailconfig" patch
to a Perl5 script.

In addition, I made LOTS of adjustments to what's probed. I suggest
that before you execute my script you take a look inside and see what
it's looking at. Basically, I probe the /proc file system to gather
information on CPU type, kernel info, run a few programs
to see what versions they are (Perl, GCC, ...), and peek to see
what libraries you have installed (by looking in the /*/lib
directories).

Please point your favorite web browser at:
http://www.binary9.net/nicholas/kerneldb/

Below is the script itself! Share, enjoy and comment freely!

N!
Nicholas J. Leon (pgp/finger) nicholas@binary9.net
Shinanyaku on Kali:Central descent2/warcraft2
Technical Development, Wachovia Bank real job!

--- cut here ---
#!/usr/bin/perl

# mailconfig
#
# Nicholas J. Leon [nicholas@binary9.net] 4/22/96
#
# This sucker basically scans your /proc filesystem for those
# entries that help define what type of system you are running
# Linux on. The results are mailed to "kerneldb@binary9.net"
#
# For more information please see
#
# http://www.binary9.net/nicholas/kerneldb/
#
#

$SEP="<- mailconfig ->";

sub getProcInfo {
my(@files)=("cpuinfo","devices","filesystems","interrupts","ioports","version",
"sys/kernel/osrelease","sys/kernel/ostype",
"sys/kernel/domainname","sys/kernel/hostname",
"pci","uptime","meminfo"
);
my($f);

print "Gathering information from /proc\n";

while ($f=shift @files) {
next unless -r "/proc/$f";

print MAILOUT "$SEP proc $f\n";
print MAILOUT `cat /proc/$f`;
print MAILOUT "\n";
}
}

sub verifyMakefile {
my($fn)=@_;

open(IN,"<$fn") || return 0;

$_=<IN>;

close IN;

return /^VERSION =/?1:0;
}

sub getTargetInfo {
my(@places)=(".","..","/usr/src/linux");
my($topdir);
my($makefile);
my($c,$config);

# make sure we have access to the (right) Makefile
while ($topdir=shift @places) {
if (-r "$topdir/Makefile" && verifyMakefile("$topdir/Makefile")) {
$makefile="$topdir/Makefile";
last;
}
}

if (!defined($makefile)) {
print "Couldn't locate the top level Makefile. Please run $0 from\n";
print "top level Kernel source directory currently running.\n";

return;
}

print "Gathering information from $makefile.\n";

open(IN,"<$makefile") || do { print "That failed...hmmmm... $!"; return; };

$c=0;

while ($c++<7) {
$_=<IN>;

$VERSION=$1 if /^VERSION = (.*)/;
$PATCHLEVEL=$1 if /^PATCHLEVEL = (.*)/;
$SUBLEVEL=$1 if /^SUBLEVEL = (.*)/;
$ARCH=$1 if /^ARCH = (.*)/;
}

close IN;

if ($VERSION && $PATCHLEVEL && $SUBLEVEL && $ARCH) {
print MAILOUT "$SEP source version\n";
print MAILOUT "$VERSION.$PATCHLEVEL.$SUBLEVEL\n";
print MAILOUT "\n";
print MAILOUT "$SEP source arch\n";
print MAILOUT "$ARCH\n";
print MAILOUT "\n";
}
else {
print "Hmmm... found a Makefile, but it didn't have the normal\n";
print "defines at the top... oh well.\n";
}

$config="$topdir/.config";

print "Gathering information from $config.\n";

open(IN,"<$config") || do {
print "Couldn't open $config: $!";
return;
};

print MAILOUT "$SEP source .config\n";

while (<IN>) {
print MAILOUT $_ if /^\s*CONFIG.*=/;
}

close IN;

print MAILOUT "\n";

}

sub getCmdInfo {
my(@cmds)=("gcc -v","ld -V","perl -v","perl -V","lilo -V");
my($c);

print "Gathering information from various programs.\n";

while ($c=shift @cmds) {
print MAILOUT "$SEP command $c\n";
print MAILOUT `sh -c "$c 2>&1"`;
print MAILOUT "\n";
}

}

sub getDirs {
my(@dirs)=("/lib","/usr/lib","/usr/local/lib");
my($d);

print "Gathering information from various directories.\n";

while ($d=shift @dirs) {
print MAILOUT "$SEP dir $d\n";
print MAILOUT `ls -la $d`;
print MAILOUT "\n";
}
}

$TMPFILE="/tmp/mailconfig.$$";

print <<EOT
This program is about to probe various aspect of your
system. I suggest that EVERYONE look over the code to
see exactly what is being reported. I tried to limit
the program's gathering to relevant information, but
you privacy folks might be concerned.

The results of this probe will be written to the file
$TMPFILE. If the actual mailing of
this file doesn't work on your system, you can manually
mail the results to "kerneldb\@binary9.net".

EOT
;

print "Are you sure you want to do this [y/N]? ";
$ans=<>;

exit unless $ans=~/^y/i;

if (! -d "/proc") {
print "Whoops! Mailconfig requires the /proc filesystem!\n";
exit 1;
}

open(MAILOUT,">$TMPFILE") || die "Couldn't open $TMPFILE: $!";

getProcInfo;
getCmdInfo;
getTargetInfo;
getDirs;

close MAILOUT;

`mail -s 'KernelDB' kerneldb\@binary9.net < $TMPFILE` &&
die "Couldn't mail the results ($!), $TMPFILE left intact.\n";

system("rm",$TMPFILE);

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.041 / U:0.924 seconds]