SubjectRe: memtest86, built into kernel
Date
> root@sasami.anime.net said:
> } Because this task is basically running when the CPU is idle, it has
> } no cpu impact on the rest of the system.
>
> } I would definitely like to see something like this in Linux...
>
> However it will affect the CPU power usage and heating patterns.
> This will be especially significant to laptop users since it will
> dramatically reduce their battery life. Currently the processor can
> halt during idle, and so save power, reduce heating etc.
>
> So it needs to be configurable.

Of course. Could it even be a loadable kernel module? That way you could
enable and disable it on the fly, and give parameters when loading.

For desktop PCs the idle-cpu-memtest would not be so much of an issue, and
even on laptops not an issue as long as they are plugged into the wall :-)

I have no idea how to write a kernel thread (especially less a module), so
someone else more technically inclined will have to do it. But i'm willing
to give ideas :-) If one goes really overboard, perhaps even an entry in
/proc , e.g. /proc/memcheck to keep status on how many passes have been
made and how many faults are found (hopefully 0 :-)

-Dan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.030 / U:0.168 seconds]