Subjectmodules memory (Was: sound volume and kerneld)
Date
Actually the problem of keeping settings between modules invocation
is not limited to the sound module. Another module which applies is
the tape module (i use st.o, but i think also ftape.o applies).
the problem is remembering the current file position when you have
multiple filemarks.
ie: you do
# mt fsf 12
go drink a coffe while it goes,
# mt status
and it tells you are at file 0, while the tape IS at file 12 :(

In this case bj0rn's post-xxx syntax is not useful at all.

I would propose adding two module related syscalls,
module_save_status()
module_load_status()
and a switch to insmod/rmmod to tell the module to load a saved status
the status could be kept in an area of memory allocated by kerneld,
or maybe in a (db[m]) file in /var/run (just remember to clear it
at boot time)
Any feedback....
Bj0rn... ?!?

regards,
Luca
--
#include <disclaimer.h>
| Luca Berra -- S.I.W.A. Politecnico di Milano |

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.029 / U:1.332 seconds]