Subjectstrange error on console
Date
  Description of my machine:
Lone Linux box, using 1.3.72. Network connection via PPP, using
ppp-2.2.0e. No other network connections. Very vanilla type of box.
1 IDE HD 8 megs RAM etc.

Anyways, to my question. I was using whois to look up some IP addresses,
and after it was through, I noticed on my modem lights that I was receiving
packets still. I thought it was a bit strange, so checked my other consoles,
wondering whether I left a net process running or not. There were none, and
then on my console appears this at my shell prompt:

Record last updated on 17-Apr-95.

The InterNIC Registration Services Host contains ONLY Internet Information
(Networks, ASN's, Domains, and POC's).
Please use the whois server at nic.ddn.mil for MILNET Information.
sativa:~> *** tcp.c:tcp_data bug acked < copied

...as you can see, the whois process has already terminated. Sativa is part
of my shell prompt etc. Any clues (I know i am using an unstable kernel
series, but I would still like to know what this might be related to)?

Also, on another completely different note. I am going to be an admin over
another Linux box with the following setup:

HP Vectra (using DX2/50 CPU)
64 megabytes RAM (motherboard has 8 72pin SIMM slots)
SCSI2 Adaptec controller (2 SCSI CD-Roms, 1 8 gigabyte DAT tape, 2 HD's)
NE2000 (compat.) Ethernet card.
Slackware 3.0 (using 1.2.13 kernel)

The problem is that the system is only recognizing 16 megs of the total 64
available. We know the memory is ok, because it passes BIOS(?) memory checks.
Passes MSDOS memory checks, and also Windows 3.1 memory checks. Have there
been any reports of problems like this?

I asked some other Linux guy, and he mentioned something about passing a
specific declaration of the total memory on the LILO boot line. Something
related to: mem=#M ...

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :')

Ty Davidson

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.177 / U:0.044 seconds]