SubjectRe: What happened to the 4MB paging Pentium bug? (fwd)
Date

Linux writes:
> Again, I have no hard evidence for this, but I certainly have enough
> that it's starting to look like a real problem. Much worse than the
> divide bug, but I doubt you'll be able to get intel to exchange your
> CPU's..

To be fair to intel the FDIV bug is the smallest of the bugs ;). Rev 5
sounds like either B3 or C stepping. That also features a pile of
bugs including some promising looking ones for weird crashes:

o REP MOVS on the 100MHz component can copy an extra data item.

That would cause hell. It only occurs in theory on multiprocessors
and/or during very heavy snoop activity (eg heavy DMA)

[fixed in C1]

[The FPU fix was done in B5]

As to the 4Mbyte pages, that would probably not be covered by the
general release errata as its not officially there in the pentium anyway,
and I suspect reporting a bug caused by using 4Mb pages wouldnt impress
them.

BTW Linus we ought if we do this properly, to disable the L1 cache
or flush the DMA after a device DMA on the B1 stepping CPU and refuse
to run SMP for C1 or earlier. Given the B steppings randomly lock up
with SMP I didnt put in cover for the "may lose interrupt" and other
B stepping bugs with SMP. Maybe we should do this and also drop 4Mb
mode on earlier chips

Does anyone know how the B1,B3,B5 .. map to the version info
in CPUID ??

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.181 / U:0.204 seconds]