SubjectRe: General thoughts for 2.1+
Interesting comment concerning documentation.  Something I haven't
considered. In our latest release of the Digi driver we have
documentation in both /usr/src/linux/drivers/char/README.epca.dir and
/usr/src/Documentation/digiepca.txt. I did it that way because I thought
that was the way it was supposed to be done. Maybe we should make a
directory in Documentation and put all of our stuff in there..... Is there any
formal documentation (Besides the coding style) standards or coding
standards available for Linux ?

Thanks,
Ronnie Sanford
Digi International

On Wed, 23 Oct 1996, Aaron Tiensivu wrote:

> I'm a little worried this might start something ugly.. but bear with me. :)
>
> The 'Documentation' directory isn't being used by some areas of the kernel
> source. I realize some are probably there for a good reason, but I figured we
> should probably full endorse the idea of a 'Documentation' area.
>
> The offenders:
> ./fs/nfs/README
> ./net/README
> ./net/decnet/README
> ./net/ipv6/README
> ./drivers/net/README1.PLIP
> ./drivers/net/README2.PLIP
> ./drivers/net/README.DLINK
> ./drivers/net/README.wavelan
> ./drivers/net/README.ewrk3
> ./drivers/net/README.de4x5
> ./drivers/net/README.eql
> ./drivers/net/README.tunnel
> ./drivers/net/README.multicast
> ./drivers/net/README.pt
> ./drivers/net/README.smc9
> ./drivers/net/README.dgrs
> ./drivers/block/README.ide
> ./drivers/block/README.hd
> ./drivers/block/README.fd
> ./drivers/block/README.md
> ./drivers/char/README.scc
> ./drivers/char/README.stallion
> ./drivers/char/ftape/README.PCI
> ./drivers/char/README.baycom
> ./drivers/char/README.cyclomY
> ./drivers/scsi/README.st
> ./drivers/scsi/README.aic7xxx
> ./drivers/scsi/README.BusLogic
> ./drivers/scsi/README.g_NCR5380
> ./drivers/scsi/README.AM53C974
> ./drivers/scsi/README.ppa
> ./drivers/scsi/README.FlashPoint
> ./drivers/scsi/README.dtc3x80
> ./drivers/scsi/README.qlogicisp
> ./drivers/scsi/README.qlogicfas
> ./drivers/scsi/README.ncr53c8xx
> ./drivers/scsi/README.in2000
> ./drivers/sound/lowlevel/README
> ./arch/i386/math-emu/README
> ./arch/sparc/boot/README
> ./arch/m68k/ifpsp060/README
> ./arch/m68k/fpsp040/README
> ./scripts/README.Menuconfig
>
> Other areas of concern:
>
> 1. The GGI people need help with getting that project going full-tilt. I'll be
> helping out somehow when time permits. Video card programming is not my forte,
> but I think it is for a very good and valid cause. Their main WWW site is at:
> http://synergy.caltech.edu/~ggi/
>
> Hopefully, maybe I can help out with the ATI Mach32 support and VGAWonder XL
> support. [The two video cards I have]
>
> A small sub-set of GGI might be nice for kernel. Not necessarily a gung-ho
> graphics library, but 'simple' things like being aware of certain extended
> registers of various chipsets. That work fix a majority of the video
> corruption problems we see today.
>
> 2. This is a really minor 'grip' but Paul Gortmaker already posted the patch
> and I think it should probably be stuck in 2.1. It changes the '/proc/interrupts
> ' display to look like:

> olga:~> cat /proc/interrupts
> 0: 19970147 timer
> 1: 180474 keyboard
> 2: 0 cascade
> [...]

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.036 / U:1.564 seconds]