SubjectDRM Accel BoF at Linux Plumbers
Hi,

I would like to use the chance at the next Plumbers to discuss the
present challenges related to ML accelerators in mainline.

I'm myself more oriented towards edge-oriented deployments, and don't
know enough about how these accelerators are being used in the cloud
(and maybe desktop?) to tell if there is enough overlap to warrant a
common BoF.

In any case, these are the topics I would like to discuss, some
probably more relevant to the edge than to the cloud or desktop:

* What is stopping vendors from mainlining their drivers?

* How could we make it easier for them?

* Userspace API: how close are we from a common API that we can ask
userspace drivers to implement? What can be done to further this goal?

* Automated testing: DRM CI can be used, but would be good to have a
common test suite to run there. This is probably dependent on a common
userspace API.

* Other shared userspace infrastructure (compiler, execution,
synchronization, virtualization, ...)

* Firmware-mediated IP: what should we do about it, if anything?

* Any standing issues in DRM infra (GEM, gpu scheduler, DMABuf, etc)
that are hurting accel drivers?

What do people think, should we have a drivers/accel-wide BoF at
Plumbers? If so, what other topics should we have in the agenda?

Cheers,

Tomeu

  Last update: 2024-05-18 10:46    [W:0.611 / U:0.192 seconds]