SubjectRe: [Resubmit] Read battery voltage from Logitech Gaming mice

On 8/23/19 10:32 AM, Benjamin Tissoires wrote:
> [...]
> percentage.
>

>>> So I think we should remove the useless quirk in the end (bad idea
>>> from me, I concede), and instead during hidpp_initialize_battery() set
>>> the correct HIDPP_CAPABILITY_*.
>>> Not entirely sure if we should try to call 0x1000, or 0x1001 or if we
>>> should rely on the 0x0001 feature to know which feature is available,
>>> but this should be implementation detail.
>>
>> I like the idea of calling 0x0001 once on device boot much better. I
>> think we could easily just fetch the location for the features we know
>> about and want to deal with once only. This also makes sure we support
>> every single device that supports this feature, so that is a huge plus.
>>
>> In fact, I think we should _not_ call 0x0001 on battery init, but only
>> call battery init _after_ we called 0x0001 and discovered either 0x1000
>> or 0x1001 (or the solar battery feature, or any other one that might
>> crop up in the feature).
>
> ack for that

>>> It is for sure easy to review, but doesn't make much sense in the end.
>>> I think we should squash all the patches together as you are just
>>> adding one feature in the driver, and it is a little bit disturbing to
>>> first add the quirk that has no use, then set up the structs when they
>>> are not used, and so on, so forth.
>>
>> You're right. My first instinct was to send a single patch. As much as I
>> tested this, I always feel like breaking the patch up post-facto will
>> break a git bisect in the future and everyone will hate me :P
>
> as long as the patches are compiling and are not breaking, git bisect
> will not be a problem. However, we might end up with the last one,
> which is not very explicit in what it does as it just enables the
> features implemented previously.
>

>> So we (you, me and Filipe) should probably come up with an action plan
>> here. The way I see it there are two issues here: one is adding this
>> feature, and the other is refactoring to use feature discovery for all
>> features. There are advantages and disadvantages to doing one or another
>> first and we might want to discuss that.
>>
>> By merging this first (probably after I resubmit it as a single squashed
>> patch) we get to test it a bit better and have a usable feature sooner.
>> Plenty of people have been requesting this and there is plenty of stuff
>> that can be built on top of it, but only once this is actually merged I
>> think.
>>
>> On the other hand, by first refactoring the rest of the code to use
>> 0x0001 we avoid some rework on this patch. It should be minor, as most
>> functions here do all the heavy lifting after the initial feature
>> discovery, and are thus mostly independent from how that is done.
>>
>> I'm happy either way, so just let me know what you guys decide.
>
> I think we should merge your v3 squashed series with a slight
> autodetection during battery init, like the method you used in the v1.
> This would remove the quirk, but keep the straightforward commands

Alright, I rebased against for-5.4/logitech to make sure, squashed
everything and restored the detection code from v1, removing the quirk.
Tested and it works on both wired and wireless on my G900.

> Relying on 0x0001 should be done separately and can come in in a later
> patch IMO (unless you plan to work on it, in which case you can send
> both at once).

0x0001 is quite the task and I think Filipe already has a good plan to
tackle it, so I'll leave that for him.

> The problem I have with quirks, and that I explained to Filipe on IRC
> is that this is kernel ABI. Even if there is a very low chance we have
> someone using this, re-using the same drv_data bit in the future might
> break someone's device.
>

>> If you guys (or anyone else reading this on the public list, really) has
>> any input - naming things being notoriosly hard, I'm actually happy with
>> nitpicking - I'd appreciate it. On that note, come to think of it, I'm
>> not 100% sure reporting the voltage in milivolts is the standard way. I
>> looked through the docs, but found no solid guideline. It was either
>> that or a float, so I think I made the right call here, but still.
>
> I am not sure either. Adding Bastien as he has a lot more experience in upower.
>
> But I am under the impression that the kernel part is more "try to
> deal with whatever the hardware provides, and deal with it in user
> space".

I'll submit v4 as a single patch in the next couple of minutes.

- Pedro

  Last update: 2019-08-23 17:48    [W:0.045 / U:0.388 seconds]