SubjectRe: linux-next: build warning after merge of the net-next tree
Hi Guenter,

On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 06:49:01 -0700 Guenter Roeck <linux@roeck-us.net> wrote:

> On 07/18/2018 10:29 PM, Stephen Rothwell wrote:

> >> I thought "imply" was better than "depends on HWMON || HWMON=n", but maybe
> >> not. Is that a caveat when using "imply", and does it mean that "imply"
> >> should better not be used ?
> >
> > I don't know, sorry. It was just my best guess from what I could see
> > had changed.
> >
> > I wonder if it makes a difference that I am doing my "make
> > allmodconfig" on top of a previous "make allmodconfig" and some symbols
> > are marked as "NEW" (though they are not symbols related to the changes
> > that happened during the net-next tree merge)?
> >

> I tried to reproduce the problem, but I don't see the message.
>
> What I do see, though, is that "make allmodconfig" on a clean tree,
> followed by "make menuconfig", results in configuration changes.
> Specifically,
>
> > CONFIG_ARC_EMAC_CORE=m
> > CONFIG_ARC_EMAC=m
> > CONFIG_EMAC_ROCKCHIP=m
>
> is removed by menuconfig, and a large number of "# ... is not set"
> configuration lines are added. Weird and bad, since several of the
> disabled configurations _should_ be enabled by "make allmodconfig",
> and a large number of hwmon drivers are affected. Bisect does point
> to "net: phy: sfp: Add HWMON support for module sensors", meaning
> "imply hwmon" does have severe side effects and can not be used.
>
> I'll try to find a fix.

OK, my mistake, the "make allmodconfig" works, the following "make"
causes the config restart. (I am actually doing cross builds and using
an external object directory, in case that matters.)

I removed the "imply HWMON" line added by the above commit and the
problem went away. Also, using "depends on HWMON || HWMON=n" instead
of the imply fixes it.
--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

  Last update: 2018-07-20 00:11    [W:1.805 / U:0.316 seconds]