SubjectRe: linux-next: build warning after merge of the net-next tree
On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 08:09:06AM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Guenter,
>
> On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 06:49:01 -0700 Guenter Roeck <linux@roeck-us.net> wrote:

> > > I don't know, sorry. It was just my best guess from what I could see
> > > had changed.
> > >
> > > I wonder if it makes a difference that I am doing my "make
> > > allmodconfig" on top of a previous "make allmodconfig" and some symbols
> > > are marked as "NEW" (though they are not symbols related to the changes
> > > that happened during the net-next tree merge)?
> > >

> > I tried to reproduce the problem, but I don't see the message.
> >
> > What I do see, though, is that "make allmodconfig" on a clean tree,
> > followed by "make menuconfig", results in configuration changes.
> > Specifically,
> >
> > > CONFIG_ARC_EMAC_CORE=m
> > > CONFIG_ARC_EMAC=m
> > > CONFIG_EMAC_ROCKCHIP=m
> >
> > is removed by menuconfig, and a large number of "# ... is not set"
> > configuration lines are added. Weird and bad, since several of the
> > disabled configurations _should_ be enabled by "make allmodconfig",
> > and a large number of hwmon drivers are affected. Bisect does point
> > to "net: phy: sfp: Add HWMON support for module sensors", meaning
> > "imply hwmon" does have severe side effects and can not be used.
> >
> > I'll try to find a fix.
>
> OK, my mistake, the "make allmodconfig" works, the following "make"
> causes the config restart. (I am actually doing cross builds and using
> an external object directory, in case that matters.)
>
> I removed the "imply HWMON" line added by the above commit and the
> problem went away. Also, using "depends on HWMON || HWMON=n" instead
> of the imply fixes it.

Yes, replacing imply with the dependency is what I did in the fixup patch.
Sorry, I should have copied you: https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10534925/

It is a bit different - imply was supposed to enforce HWMON={y,n} if SFP=y,
and the depends line enforces SFP={n,m} if HWMON=m. I have no idea why
imply doesn't work, but I think I'll stay away from it in the future.

Guenter

  Last update: 2018-07-20 00:35    [W:0.060 / U:0.788 seconds]