SubjectRegulator: drivers that need to know their supply
Date
Hi,

I am working on a driver for the tps22993 load switch.

This chip has configurable slew rates but no voltage setting
(as it's just a switch).

To implement the .enable_time() method I need the voltage (which is
the supply's voltage).

The problem is that, when my regulator is configured as always-on the
supply is not known when .enable_time() is called from regulator_register()
(it does work if the regulator is not always-on)

This is similar to the problem fixed by
5e3ca2b349b1 regulator: Try to resolve regulators supplies on
registration
and the follow up deadlock fix.

I tried adding a new function:

struct regulator *rdev_get_supply(struct regulator_dev *rdev)
{
int rc;

rc = regulator_resolve_supply(rdev);
if (rc)
return ERR_PTR(rc);
return rdev->supply;
}
EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(rdev_get_supply);

Unfortunately that doesn't work.
First of all supply_name is not set at that point
(since it is set in regulator_register() AFTER set_machine_constraints())

Even after swapping the call order in regulator_register() it still doesn't
work for my configuration since the parent supply is probed later
so rdev_get_supply() returns -EDEFER which just results in
a warning message from _regulator_do_enable() when it propagates
back from .enable_time()

3V3_LCD: enable_time() failed: -517

And even without that problem there is a risk of another
deadlock since the driver callbacks are called from
regulator_register() with the regulator_list mutex held
in the always_on case.

Any ideas how to do this?

Regards,

Martin

  Last update: 2016-04-07 15:41    [W:0.062 / U:0.212 seconds]