SubjectKernel versions after 3.19.0.25 causes shutdown to 'hang'; how do I triage?
Date
Hi,

I have been trying to resolve this for a while and have not been able to
solve the issue.

The problem is simple, since the kernel was upgraded from 3.19.0.25 the
computer will not shutdown properly. It starts the sequence then halts
after 6-10sec -- it does not poweroff the computer, it seems to stop at
a higher running state with the logoff screen still visible. To shutdown
the computer I have to press the power button until the computer
actually powers off. As a work around I have reverted back to kernel
version 3.19.0.25 and at each new kernel upgrade tested again. Despite
multiple upgrades this problem has not disappeared.

I have read many many blogs and posts on related issues but nothing that
has been suggested works. It appears to me that it was about this time
that the Upstart system was changed for the Systemd system, and this
somehow has made the kernel incompatible with my hardware. I have tried
reinstalling my distro "Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with the Mate Desktop", changed
various desktop environments and moved to the latest Ubuntu release or
different 'flavours' -- essentially if the distro has the latest kernel
my shutdown does not work.

Can anyone suggest how I can proceed? What information is required to
get help? What log will tell me what is going on?

As a side question -- what happens if I fix the kernel at 3.19.0.25?

Thanks Simon

  Last update: 2016-02-25 04:41    [W:0.654 / U:0.104 seconds]