Subject[perf] make clean problematic bashism
Dear perf maintainers,

I attempted to compile perf 3.5.1 without worrying about installing
dependencies first. The resulting error messages were quite helpful, and
led me to install a bunch of development libraries and flex.

Unfortunately, after installing flex the build still failed, even after
make clean.

The reason for this was a bunch of generated empty flex files in util/
that were not removed by make clean. They are intended to be erased,
since the Makefile executes

rm -f util/*-{bison,flex}*

however, this command does not remove the files. I guess because {,}
alternatives are only special in bash but the makefile is run with some
other shell?

I got perf to compile now, but thought you would be interested to know
about this little problem.

With kind regards,

Wouter Koolen

PS: as a side note: GNU make has the .DELETE_ON_ERROR: special target,
which removes the target file when its generating command fails. This
would have prevented my problem and sounds like a good idea in general.
Maybe perf could make use of this feature when on GNU make?

  Last update: 2012-08-15 13:03    [W:0.705 / U:0.528 seconds]