    SubjectRE: [vMCE design RFC] Xen vMCE design
    Date
    Jan Beulich wrote:
    >> Recently we design xen vMCE as attached.
    >> Please kindly help me to review it, any comments/suggestions are
    >> appreciated.
    >
    > The concept looks quite okay, provided no OS has a problem with
    > the limitations imposed (most notably the restriction to a single
    > reporting bank, particularly in the context of e.g. Linux partly
    > ignoring the first bank under some conditions iirc).

    'bank0 skipping' quirks is only for older model cpus, I think we have 2 options:
    1). still use 1 bank and simply ignore this issue. I mean, even if guest runs at bank0 quirks platform, when hypervisor inject vMCE# to guest, guest skip bank0, then guest MCE logic would think it detect a spurious mce, then kill itself. Considering bank0 quirks is only for old cpus, this is acceptable;
    2). use 32 banks

    In fact, a third option is, use 1 bank, but hypervisor kill guest when it detect bank0 quirks. This would be same effect as option 1, so I prefer let guest kill itself.

    > As to not needing any migration specific adjustments - what if
    > a migration is in progress when an event needs to be delivered?
    >
    > Jan

    If a migration is in progress while an event delivered, we abort the migration.

    Thanks,
    Jinsong

      Last update: 2012-06-22 13:22    [W:0.029 / U:30.300 seconds]