SubjectRe: Code flow from device connection to device node in /dev creation
From
On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 11:57 PM, Anil Nair <anilcoll90@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Prasanna,
>
> On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 10:19 AM, prasannatsmkumar
> <prasannatsmkumar@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If I open a device file (say a printer device) who determines the
>> correct driver and sends the call? How subsequent calls get processed
>> etc. Yes I know the init function will be called while the driver is
>> loaded (while running insmod driver.ko). How a open or write call
>> comes to the driver from user space? Who keeps track of the driver's
>> internal data (*dev) and sends that while calling methods in the
>> driver? I am more interested in things like that.
>
> Drivers work in kernel address space. The implementation of the USB in
> userspace is through the library libusb, i guess you have visited its
> thread in mailing list. You will require a serious reading before
> jumping into coding.
> Sorry if you have done the required reading. :).
>
> --
> Regards,
> Anil Nair

Anil,

I have understood the code flow now. Actually I was not speaking about
user space drivers but about user space applications opening the
device and communicating with it.

  Last update: 2012-06-10 07:21    [W:0.065 / U:0.148 seconds]