    SubjectRe: [ 00/78] 3.3.2-stable review
    From
    On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 2:05 AM, Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Felipe Contreras wrote:
    >> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 4:42 PM, Stefan Richter wrote:
    >
    >>> If you do not like to wait for Linus and Greg, you simply have to derive
    >>> an own kernel which additionally contains your preferred fixes.
    >>
    >> Yes, because clearly everybody thinks the process is perfect, and
    >> criticizing it is heresy.
    >
    > Close.  Not everyone.  For example, you do not think the process is
    > perfect.

    So you think the process is *perfect*? I would have expected
    reasonable people to know that nothing is perfect, realize the
    sarcasm, and meditate for a second. But it seems expecting somebody to
    agree the process is not perfect is too much to ask.

    > I don't think Stefan meant the above as tongue-in-cheek, for what it's
    > worth.  Another stable kernel with different rules really would be an
    > interesting exercise, and would probably fulfill a need for a certain
    > audience.
    >
    > It's not like nobody does that already, anyway.  For example, I hear
    > Fedora has a kernel that they maintain well for a different audience,
    > using different rules.

    Of course, although the difference with the stable kernel would be
    very small if the only thing added is an extra rule for acceptance:
    "It reverts an earlier
    patch to 'stable'."

    But "we do this, and if you don't like it you can do whatever you
    want" is not a valid argument in favor of the status quo, even though
    it's used a lot in open source, and it's true, and there's nothing
    wrong with that... I yet have to see an answer to my arguments, and
    not a regurgitated answer for something nobody is proposing.

    Cheers.

    --
    Felipe Contreras