Subject[ANNOUNCE] kmod 3
Hi,

I'm glad to announce kmod 3! Signed tarball is available at

http://packages.profusion.mobi/kmod/kmod-3.tar.xz

In this version we added a new implementation of depmod, the only missing tool
to completely replace module-init-tools. We have only a couple of options
missing yet and need more testing, so I'd not say distros could start shipping
kmod instead of module-init-tools yet. This will probably be possible with the
next version.

We removed the several kmod-* tools that mimic the module-init-tools ones. Now
there's only one tool called 'kmod' that does the right thing when symlinks are
used with the previous names.

I'd like to thank again Dave Reisner and Tom Gundersen for the really good work
at testing, reporting bugs and helping on solving them. Right now we received
feedback from them and other people that are testing on the following
architectures: i686, x86_64, sparcv9, sparc64, powerpc64, s390, ARM and sh4.
Any architecture missing here? With this version we also fixed a major bug on
architectures that do not support unaligned accesses.

It's also worth noting that now udev is already using kmod for loading
modules.For more information about new things, please check the NEWS file that
we ship with kmod.

For the next version we plan to review some APIs, extract documentation from
source code and generate the missing man pages. Hopefully we will already be
hosted on kernel.org, too.

Shortlog for kmod 3 is below.

Cristian Rodríguez (2):
Fix leak on error path
index_file_open: fix another fd leak on error path.

Dave Reisner (7):
libkmod-config: remove warning for skipped config files
modprobe: remove --list option
modprobe: use lighter access call instead of stat
kmodprobe: post-remove module deps with 0 refcnt
tools: unify error verbiage and casing
libkmod: Fix casing in error output
libkmod/hash: check for NULL before freeing hash

Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri (33):
Fix unaligned memory access
kmod-modprobe: fix leak in command line option processing.
file: speed up loading non-gzipped modules when zlib is enabled.
elf: minimum size is enough.
elf: add get_symbols()
add test/test-elf
elf: add bind type to kmod_modversion.
elf: implement kmod_module_get_dependency_symbols()
kmod-depmod: initial code (no files generated, untested)
kmod-depmod: dump devname
kmod-depmod: dump modules.symbols
kmod-depmod: dump softdeps.
kmod-depmod: dump aliases
kmod-depmod: dump deps.
kmod-depmod: copy code from module-init-tools/index.c
kmod-depmod: add utility functions to be used by binary dumps.
kmod-depmod: dump modules.builtin.bin
kmod-depmod: dump modules.symbols.bin
kmod-depmod: dump modules.alias.bin
kmod-depmod: dump modules.dep.bin
update TODO
kmod-depmod: implement -F and -E options.
kmod-depmod: implement -A (--quick)
kmod-depmod: refactor extension matching array, support XZ.
utils/read_str_safe(): fix wrong behavior and bugs.
libkmod-file: refactor code to avoid ifdef mess.
elf: zero *array when count is zero.
kmod-depmod: add missing trailing \n to log messages.
kmod-depmod: document --config/-C in help output.
kmod-depmod: fix incorrect math finding out end of dirname.
utils/array: add array_remove_at()
kmod-depmod: fix comparison of module priority.
kmod-depmod: fix replacement of existing modules.

Jan Engelhardt (4):
build: use pkgconfig to detect zlib
build: use AC_ARG_WITH for zlib
Support for loading Xz-compressed modules
libkmod: remove external cflags from .pc file

Kay Sievers (2):
do not (mis-)use the config file generator for non-autobuild stuff
introduce --with-rootlibdir=DIR

Leandro Pereira (3):
kmod tool: don't keep iterating when command has been executed
Do not forget parenthesis around if (streq(A, B)).
libkmod-util: getline_wrapped: return NULL when buffer allocation fails

Lucas De Marchi (63):
gitignore: ignore dist files
Remove useless warning causing trouble in sparc64
Initialize line number with 0
kmod_modprobe: use basename(argv[0]) in help message
build-sys: use MKDIR_P
tools: add skeleton of kmod tool
tools: kmod: Add global options
tools: kmod: check progname for handling compat commands
tools: kmod: Add handling of compat lsmod
tools: kmod: Add handling of compat rmmod
tools: kmod: Add handling of compat insmod
tools: kmod: Add handling of compat modinfo
tools: kmod: Add handling of compat modprobe
tools: kmod: add list command
tools: kmod: print help message when no commands given
tools: kmod: show wrong command in err message
build-sys: use AS_IF
Fix version script with v3 symbols
TODO: add task in modprobe's compatibility
Reverse order of dependency list
Fix kmod_list_remove_n_latest()
Add functions to get ctx blacklists
build-sys: remove unneeded _SOURCES var
Allow to internally get dependencies without copying list
Do not cache softdeps list
Add implementation of modprobe's insertion
Add test for probe insert
kmod-depmod: Fix leak of dependency vector
TODO: format and add task
Log paths if kmod_module_new_from_path() failed
Remove kmod_ prefix from hash implementation
Copy missing hash functions from kmod-depmod to libkmod
build-sys: create libkmod-util.la convenience lib
hash: add iterator
kmod-depmod: use hash implementation from util lib
Move util functions to libkmod-util.c
Fix header guard
tools: kmod: bundle depmod together with the others
Move array implementation from depmode to libkmod-util
Move libkmod-util.c to convenience util lib
Use errno instead of return value of init_module()
Ignore "already loaded" error in module_probe_insert_module()
Move function to the right place
Do not call exported function for mod->name
Use last enum value instead of ARRAY_SIZE
TODO: add list of things that are different on kmod
Fix leak of kmod_module and fix code style
kmod-modprobe: mimic modprobe when removing deps with usecount=0
util: add helper function to compare timestamps
config: save list of config paths with their timestamps
index: save timestamp of each loaded index
Add call to check if resources are valid
Add test to check kmod_validate_resources
TODO: add task for providing man page
Add missing static const
config: take a weakref to ctx
file: take a weakref to ctx
file: use log facilities
build-sys: do not install kmod-* tools
kmod-depmod: demote messages to WRN when non-critical files are missing
Add missing doc for function argument
tools: use basename in help message
kmod 3

--