SubjectRe: Background memory scrubbing
From

> On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 05:19:41PM +0200, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> > > Unfortunately in common with a large number of hardware platforms
> > > background scrubbing isn't supported in the hardware (even though ECC
> > > error correction is supported) and thus there is no BIOS option to
> > > enable it.
> >
> > Which hardware platform is this? AFAICT all architectures with ECC
> > (old AMD64, Family 0Fh, Family 10h) also have scrubbing support.
> > If your BIOS is too dumb, just try enabling it directly (bits 0-4 of
> > PCI configuration register 0x58 in function 3 of the CPU's northbridge
> > device, see the BIOS and Kernel's Developer's Guide for details).
>
> Or even better, if on AMD, you can build the amd64_edac module
> (CONFIG_EDAC_AMD64) and do
>
> echo > /sys/devices/system/edac/mc/mc/sdram_scrub_rate
>
> where x is the scrubbing bandwidth in bytes/sec and y is the memory
> controller on the machine, i.e. node.
>
> --
> Regards/Gruss,
> Boris.

Unfortunately that also isn't an option on my platform(s). There surely must be a way for a module to be able to get a mapping for each physical page of memory in the system and to be able to use that mapping to do atomic read/writes to scrub the memory.

  Last update: 2011-04-20 17:49    [W:0.053 / U:0.180 seconds]