SubjectPATA_ARTOP reads byte from PCI IO port without mapping it to the right address.
Hi,

I posted on linux-ide a few days ago about PATA_ARTOP causing an oops in
2.6.38.
Anyhow, it seems this issue has existed for a while but something has
changed in the SH code since 2.6.35 that exposes the problem.
Mikael Pettersson replied to my original post and said that the driver
works on his board. I suspect his board isn't reading the byte from the
PCI io port (different controller that doesn't enter that code path) or
on his board it maps to the right place (or some place that doesn't
cause an oops) without out asking for it to be mapped.

I would write a patch, but I don't understand the linux PCI stuff enough
to know what is right.
I have something that works on my machine (or at least it doesn't oops
anymore) but it's probably not the right solution.

Anyhow;-

unsigned long io = pci_resource_start(pdev, 4); // This
returns 0x1400 on my machine
u8 reg;

ppi[0] = &info_628x;
if (inb(io) & 0x10)
// This reads from 0x1400, which isn't were the port actually
is in the processors address
// space and thus
an oops happens.
ppi[0] = &info_628x_fast;
/* Mac systems come up with some registers not set as we
will need them */

IO port mapping for the pata controller;

0.040000] pci 0000:00:01.0: BAR 4: set to [io 0x1400-0x140f] (PCI
address [0x1400-0x140f])
[ 0.040000] pci 0000:00:01.0: BAR 0: assigned [io 0x1410-0x1417]

I guess io should be calculated with pci_iomap(pdev, 4, 0) or something?
I don't understand how the PCI stuff works though..
Looks like the BAR is hardcoded to 4 in the existing code. I have no
idea what a BAR is. ;)
So, that's what I have on my machine.. and I don't get an oops anymore,
pata seems to be working too. I haven't checked what value is actually
being read. So it's possible that it's just reading somewhere that
doesn't cause an oops and the issue isn't actually fixed.
The main issue is the use of inb I guess. I noticed that there was some
activity to remove all uses of it in drivers some time back.

Anyhow, that seems to be the problem. If someone who isn't just guessing
this stuff could come up with a fix that would be nice.
I can get my board to boot now anyhow. :)

Regards,

Daniel

  Last update: 2011-03-30 21:47    [W:0.063 / U:1.004 seconds]