SubjectRe: [RFC] sdhci: use ios->clock to know when sdhci is idle
From
On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Gao, Yunpeng <yunpeng.gao@intel.com> wrote:
>>> So, why we have to move to the 'aggressive clock gating framework'?
>>
>>The aggressive clock gating makes more sense since the different
>>drivers will know better how to handle the gating. ios with f=0 can
>>be interpreted differently. Else every driver has to register
>>runtime PM hooks for this, which is less elegant.
>
> Thanks for the response. I just curious that is this the only reason to change the framework? To my understanding, seems it's not a very strong reason :-)
>
> Take the example of sd/mmc card -
> by using the aggressive clock gating framework, it means the host controller will gate (clock gating or power gating) itself if not receiving requests for 8 clocks even if the request queue of mmc block driver is not empty at that time. So the host controller has to be gated / ungated repeatedly until the current request queue of mmc block driver becomes empty. I don't think this is elegant since most of the gating / ungating operations are not necessary.

I'm also concerned by thrashing. Please see my original patch. I am
using pm_runtime_put_autosuspend() so that suspend timeout can be
tweaked in user space.

Please also note that clock gating only platforms must also be
concerned by thrashing, as clock_disable() call might endup with PLL
power down that will have to be warmed up again later...

> Instead, if we do it in the mmc block driver by just call the pm_runtime_put() once the current request queue is empty and call pm_runtime_get() once any new request comes, then the host controller can be gated/ungated appropriately.
My original patch does not include any ignore_child() call. So that
children can decide wether they want to prevent suspension of their
parent.That will be the case of a wifi card who uses runtime_pm to
manage its own power, and still wants its sdio bus to suspend
automatically when not used (wifi idle)

Regards,
Pierre

  Last update: 2011-01-02 20:47    [W:0.086 / U:0.792 seconds]