SubjectRe: [RFC] - Mapping ACPI tables as CACHED
On 07/23/2010 05:14 PM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> Well, as it was raised in this thread, ACPI tables are likely to be near RAM
> regions used for IPC with the firmware or SMBIOS, and we have no idea of the
> kind of crap that could happen if we enable caching on those areas.

I'm really not sure I buy that argument -- at least not on x86: if that
is the case, then when PAT is off (and we fall down to MTRR-only
control) then we'd have the same failures. If we mark them cacheable
and the MTRRs say uncachable, then we will *still* not cache them (since
MTRR UC overrides PAT WB -- in fact "PAT off" really just means ALL the
pagetables are marked WB.)

In that sense it is probably *safer* to map them WB, since the firmware
if it uses page tables at all is extremely likely to have all the cache
control bits at zero (meaning WB) -- and if it doesn't use page tables,
they are functionally zero by default (MTRR control only.)

So I think it'd be safer to map them cacheable -- regardless of if we
want to copy them to RAM or not.

-hpa

  Last update: 2010-08-24 23:43    [W:0.284 / U:0.132 seconds]