    SubjectRe: [RFC] - Mapping ACPI tables as CACHED
    On Sat, 24 Jul 2010, Matthew Garrett wrote:
    > On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 09:14:50PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
    > > Well, as it was raised in this thread, ACPI tables are likely to be near RAM
    > > regions used for IPC with the firmware or SMBIOS, and we have no idea of the
    > > kind of crap that could happen if we enable caching on those areas.
    > >
    > > OTOH, we *know* of systems that force us to copy the ACPI tables to regular
    > > RAM, otherwise, the utterly broken BIOS corrupts the ACPI tables after the
    > > kernel has loaded.
    > >
    > > Couldn't we simply always copy all tables to regular RAM and mark THAT as
    > > cacheable (since there will be no IPC regions in it)? For the tables that
    > > are only used once, we can free the RAM later.
    >
    > I think this is reasonable. There's an argument that we shouldn't cache
    > operation regions that may be sitting next to the ACPI tables, but I
    > can't see any problems being caused by copying the tables to RAM.

    Yes. And well-engineered platforms that are known to be safe (such as UV)
    could just opt-out of that and mark the ACPI tables directly as cachable if
    they want, if the penalty for an unecessary copy-to-RAM [on these systems]
    is high enough to merit it.

    Henrique Holschuh

      Last update: 2010-07-24 14:29    [W:2.195 / U:0.140 seconds]