SubjectRe: [rfc] Describe events in a structured way via sysfs

* Johannes Berg <johannes@sipsolutions.net> wrote:

> > > That's not appropriate either though since you may have multiple network
> > > interfaces on the same hardware :)
> >
> > Doesn't net/wlan0...wlanN mean multiple network interfaces on the same
> > hardware?
>
> Yes, but the trace points aren't per network interface but rather per
> hardware piece.

Yeah - we generally want events to live at their 'natural' source in sysfs.

So if it's a per device hardware event, it should live with the hardware
piece. If it's a higher level chipset event, it should live where the chipset
driver is in sysfs. If it's a subsystem level event then it should live there.

I think what you mentioned in your other posting makes the most sense: give
flexibility to tracepoint authors to place the event in the most sensible
sysfs place. It is them who define the tracepoints and the events so any
second guessing by a generic layer will probably get in the way. The generic
tool layer will be content with having the event_source class in sysfs, to see
'all' event sources ttheir topological structure.

That's probably best achieved via a TRACE_EVENT() variant, by passing in the
sysfs location.

It might even make sense to make this a part of TRACE_EVENT() itself and make
'NULL' the current default, non-sysfs-enumerated behavior. That way we can
gradually (and non-intrusively) find all the right sysfs places for events.

Thanks,

Ingo

  Last update: 2010-06-24 11:39    [W:0.117 / U:0.952 seconds]