    SubjectRe: [alsa-devel] PROBLEM: SIS7019 stops recording after 42 min
    2010/6/23 David Dillow <>:
    > On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 20:22 +0200, Hans Schou wrote:

    >>    int fd = open("/dev/dsp",  O_RDWR);
    >> This should not go through ALSA (I think). I gues one should use
    >> something with "snd_pcm_open()" to use ALSA.
    > To use ALSA directly, yes. However, there is no OSS SIS7019 driver in
    > the kernel, only the ALSA one I wrote. There is an OSS emulation layer,
    > so you can use the OSS API to talk to the ALSA core. Unless you are
    > using a vendor (SIS/MicroJr/etc.) supplied driver, you are using ALSA in
    > some capacity.

    OK. Thanks for clearing it out.

    I guess I should have programmed against ALSA when I started.

    >> I really don't understand why I do not see this problem on other
    >> hardware using the same compiled code.
    > You mean the 10 second pauses during recording after 42 minutes? That is
    > a driver bug, so it is specific to this card.

    OK. And 42 min is also the only problem I see. I have no problems with
    the recorded sounds.

    > If you mean the alternating long/sort period times, then it is present
    > on other hardware, but you likely don't see it either due to the
    > defaults giving you more periods to work in so you don't see overruns,
    > faster hardware than the SIS550 CPU, or a combination of the two. The
    > bug that gives rise to the 10 second pauses can also shorten the periods
    > I think, making overruns more likely to occur.

      Last update: 2010-06-24 10:11    [W:0.021 / U:21.096 seconds]