SubjectProposal for a new algorithm for reading & writing a hibernation image.
Hi all.

Some discussions with Rafael a while ago (can't find the original
message now, sorry) got me thinking about whether there might be a
better way of writing a complete image of memory, particularly in the
context of KMS breaking existing TuxOnIce algorithms. I finally got
around to hammering out the algorithm last night, and thought I'd put it
out there for others to comment on, particularly since I'm no expert on
fault handling - it may be that what I'm thinking of is impossible on
the hardware we support.

The algorithm I'm thinking of trying to implement goes as follows:

When saving the image
=====================

1. Modify driver suspend and resume routines so that the freeing of
memory used for the storage of state is separated from restoring the
resume methods. This will allow us to get the drivers to save their
state prior to writing the image, without needing the memory allocated
for this purpose to be atomically copied.
2. Prior to writing any of the image, also set up new 4k page tables
such that an attempt to make a change to any of the pages we're about to
write to disk will result in a page fault, giving us an opportunity to
flag the page as needing an atomic copy later. Once this is done, write
protection for the page can be disabled and the write that caused the
fault allowed to proceed.
3. Write the entire contents of memory to disk.
4. Disable secondary CPUs (no need to do the driver suspend/resume
again) and atomically copy pages that faulted while writing the image.
5. Write atomically copied data to disk, giving a complete image on disk
of memory at the time of the atomic copy.

When loading the image
======================
1. Locate and allocate pages that can have data directly loaded (ie are
free now and used in the saved image). These will be loaded without an
'atomic restore'.
2. For other pages:
As each page is loaded:
- Write protect existing data.
- If contents are the same as what is being loaded
Discard loaded version
If contents change after being write protected,
1. make a copy of unmodified version to later atomically copy back.
2. remove write protection
- If contents differ
1. set up atomic restore later
2. remove write protection
3. After loading memory and determining what needs to be atomically
restored:
- Do drivers suspend, atomic restore as is done at the moment

The main difficulties I see with the above are - apart from not being
sure that I can achieve the above with fault handling - are:

1. Memory requirements for the atomic copy wouldn't be known until the
point where we get to the atomic copy. I guess, though, that with most
things frozen, we'd expect the number to be reasonably consistent and small.
2. We also need extra memory for the driver suspend at resume time. That
said, since it's not otherwise needed, it could be the same memory
that's reserved for doing I/O and for atomically copied data when
writing the image.

Are there other issues people can see that I might have missed?

Regards,

Nigel

  Last update: 2010-05-10 01:41    [W:1.564 / U:0.388 seconds]